About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Pirouette Restaurant -- Restaurant Review


Address: 5 Rue Mondétour, 75001 Paris, France
TÉL : +33 1 40 26 47 81 
Closed Sundays 
Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor
€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)
1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-75); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-80); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (80+)

  4.25 - Star............................................................................................................................3 - Bell



Our friend invited us out to lunch in the Les Halles area of Paris. The area is being is being renovated so lots of construction around that site.  I never really think of having good food in that area, I’ve always considered it just an OK area for food, but today was an exception to the rule, what a gem we stumbled on to.

Wine list


Pirouette has only been open for about a year. It is very modern and very sleek. They even
have their own little al fresco dining area in the courtyard, we opted to eat indoors since there’s still quite a chill in the air.




They have a nice extensive menu and for their menu du jour (entrée and plat of today's specials) it was 15 euros for lunch and for the entrée+plat+dessert (choices off the entire menu) it was 38 euros, good deal.  They also had quite an extensive wine list.






Entrees:



We had 3 different entrées.   
First was the cod with a spicy chorizo sauce.   
The fish was cooked
perfectly, not much flavor, but with the accompanying chorizo sauce it was great. In fact the Proprietor told me it’s a bit spicy, but I’m from California, trust me it was not spicy, but good, but for the French it would’ve been spicy.










The blanc de sèche, artichauts, lomo, piquillas, jus de viande. It was cuttlefish; it was very tasty, the saltiness of the thinly sliced chorizo and the accompanying artichoke hearts were great. There were even a few dabs of, what we assume was, some watered down sriracha sauce.  I had only one little criticism; the cuttlefish was a tad too rubbery for my taste, but good none-the-less.





Lastly, we had the eggs cooked on a plancha with a puree of asparagus, bacon and salad.
No complaints here, the dish was fabulous, very tasty and well balanced.















Plats:

We had 4 different entrees.  The first was a sweetbreads with petits pois. This was one of my favorite dishes. The sweetbreads were cooked perfectly, tender, not mealy nor overcooked, just perfect. The green peas were to die for, so fresh and not adulterated with much else to keep the natural flavors of the peas in tact. Excellent overall.







Next plat was the roasted pigeon breast with white asparagus. This was my second
favorite dish. Don’t want to sound like a broken record, but it was so tender, and it was accompanied with liver.  Very well seasoned and just overall tasty.













Third plat was the grilled bar (bass) with onions and chorizo.  The fish was nice and moist on the inside and crispy on the outside, and with the crumbled, toasted, crispy chorizo atop it gave it an even extra crispiness. It was an enjoyable dish.










Last plat was the 7-hour lamb with violet carrots and baby grapes. 
Although quite tasty, this was probably 
my least favorite of all the dishes. I’m not saying it was bad, in fact it was very good, but just not my favorite.  When something is braised for that long it can get a little stringy, it’s the nature of the beast, but it was good none-the-less.









Desserts:

First dessert was a soft brebis with black cherries. I’ve eaten a lot of cheeses in my lifetime, in particular brebis, but have never tasted a soft brebis (sheep cheese) quite like this. I’m sure it’s common, but for me it was my first time to eat it. I loved it; however, I would’ve preferred it without the black cherry confiture. A lot of times French like a drizzle of honey or confiture to add that little sweetness; I can do without it.






The next dessert was the gariguette strawberries and rhubarb in a rhubarb sauce. This was
everyone’s favorite dessert. It had a nice balance of tartness and sweetness and accompanied with the “nage” rhubarb and a pistachio palmier, how could you go wrong. Excellent dessert!










And, lastly the praline tart with speculoos ice cream and caramel sauce.  I love speculoos, it’s like a sweet graham crackers that is often used as a crust or base for desserts. And, who wouldn’t like pralines with caramel sauce. Yum-yum!!!!









Overall:

What an excellent find in the 1er arrondissement.  This is definitely a must go to place.  It was 94 euros per couple with 2-bottles of wine, 3-glasses of rosé, and 3-cups of coffee.

I can’t wait til the weather warms up so we eat al fresco. Chapeau to the Chef!

Al fresco dining in front of restaurant

No comments :

Post a Comment