About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Saturday, June 12, 2021

Girafe Restaurant -- Restaurant Review




1 Place du Trocadéro et du 11 Novembre, 75016 Paris

Transport Line 6 TROCADERO

Check website for operating hours and reservations and menu https://girafe-restaurant.com/

Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor

€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)

1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)

4.5- Stars....................................................€€€€......................................................... 1 - Bell


As of June 9, everything in Paris was opened, including indoor dining. However, we still have a curfew of 11 pm.

As most restaurants, this restaurants was closed for over a year during the pandemic. As soon as we started opening up, we wanted to celebrate so we went to the Giraffe. It took us a month to get reservations, but we made it and was well worth it. It's one of handful of restaurants by the "Tour Eiffel" that has a direct view, and with beautiful weather dining al-fresco, it was a wonderful experience.

We had ordered a bottle of Moet Chandon (feeling celebratory) to start off.

The restaurant is very heavy on seafood, which for us was great since we all like seafood.

NOTE: I'm reviewing the 2-dishes I had. And a few the crustaceans that I had (crab and cockles)


ENTRÉE

Yellowtail. (Carpaccio, miso vanille-orange)

It always amazes me how cities can get such fresh fish, especially when the city is landlocked. The yellowtail was not only fresh, but lightly seasoned so as not to take away from the flavors. 




PLATS 


POULPE (OCTOPUS)
(Grilled served with aioli and vegetables of the season) 

There is really nothing bad I can say about this dish. The poulpe was so amazingly tender, served with some pureed squash and zucchini. I wonder what they did aside from pounding it to make it extra tender. The exterior was crispy with the interior extremely tender. My only complaint I have, is that I wish there was MORE. 


ASSORTIMENT DE CRUS
A friend ordered this assortment of cold shell fish. they were delish. Only minor complaint I have, the chef had a heavy hand with the salt.


Other dishes my friends ordered.  All agreed they were delicious. 


SUMMARY

I've been to this restaurant several times. It is one of the best restaurants with a great view of the "Tour Eiffel". The service is EXCELLENT. They are heavy with seafood, but have 2-main dishes for people who do not eat seafood. But be forewarned, the service staff knows the big sell of this restaurant is the view, so if you're in a hurry, don't go. We actually had an almost 4-hour lunch, which I LOVED. Just to take in the views and atmosphere.

Normally, I would break down the price and the break-down of the wines we had. But what we had was not a normal lunch since we were in a celebratory mood. We had 2-bottles of Moët Chandon, and bottles of wine that were overpriced, but we were paying for the view. So our breakdown would be skewed. 

I highly recommend this restaurant 

See menu for prices. 

                                 



  











 





 

1 comment :

  1. Food looks so delicious. I have to visit there surely.

    ReplyDelete