About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Friday, April 29, 2022

Restaurant Granite -- Restaurant Review

 


6 Rue Bailleul, 75001 Paris


Website: https://granite.paris/
Phone: 01 40 13 64 06
Metro: Line 1, Louvre-Rivoli



Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor

€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)

1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)

4.75 - Stars....................................................€€€€........................................................ 2.5 - Bell

When a friend invited us to try this new restaurant, I thought there seemed to be something very familiar about the restaurant. And, as I investigated further I recalled it was Daniel Rose's "Spring Restaurant".  He has since went on to become chef-de-cuisine and creator of Coucou in NYC winning a Michelin star, and on to do other great things. 

I remember coming to this place when he was still building it and the lower floor didn't even exist. It basically still looks the same with a big open kitchen, but the lower floors have been made into dining areas rather than a wine bar, as was intended during Daniel's day.


They just recently garnered their Michelin star, but I didn't want this to influence me and wanted to let the food speak for itself. Because I've been to many Michelin starred restaurants and sometimes have walked out thinking WTF?

They provide a pre-fixe lunch for 3, 5 or 7 courses. I'm not a big eater so immediately I knew I wanted just 3-courses, and our whole group followed suit.

Was I glad we just got 3-courses, because they didn't tell us that we would have several amuse bouches nor pre-desserts and a mignardise.


NOTE: They will ask if you have allergies to anything, eg shellfish. Let them know so they can substitute it.







AMUSE BOUCHE 

Much  to my surprise and delight, we were given 4 amuse bouche. Imagine that? From top left to bottom right.

*. This was a panisse (chickpea flour) cookie topped with creamed and fresh peas and a citron topping. It was absolutely delicious.

* A flowered pastry cup topped with a type of creme fraiche with petit-pois (peas), another excellent bite treat.

* A brioche pain perdu topped with sea urchin and a shiso leaf that gave it a bit of spicy almost gingery taste, along with a citrus sauce. The sea urchin was very mild, not briny at all. EXCELLENT! my fav of the 4.


ENTRÉE.  Landes white asparagus.

I have to be honest and say I really don't like white asparagus, because I find them bland, but Granite made me a believer. They infused the asparagus with some secret sauce and saffron, topped with a mild citrus and pea sauce. I'm starting to think they like peas or they're in season. But this dish was so succulent with delicate flavors and just a beautiful composition. Bravo.

NOTE: Between May and June, it's pea season in France



PLATS. Suckling lamb. 

I was actually surprised that not only did we get the suckling lamb, but we also got a braised lamb shoulder.

The suckling lamb was extremely tender. It said there was hummus, but they were actually little muffins made with chickpea flour. The sauce was a nice accompaniment, and much to my surprise the strawberry was actually a nice accompaniment since it gave a little citrus to lighten the dish to an otherwise rich dish and brought it to the next level.

The braised shoulder lamb was so tender and melted in your mouth. The demi-glace sauce was a nice touch and was not rich at all, but pure deliciousness. The two were a great hit.



I can't ignore the breads. WOW, what a selection. We had rye, cranberry, whole grain cereal, wheat and plain. I tasted the cereal and cranberry, DELISH!



DESSERTS: Rice Crisps and Kiwi Chartreuse and kiwi and Shiso sorbet.  

I'm not a big dessert person, but I decided everything was so perfect, why not have the dessert and give it a try. I'm glad I did.

The Kiwi and shiso sorbet was delicious. It was light and not at all strong in flavor, nor was it tart. There wasn't a lot, but it was a nice spoonful break which prepared you for the next dessert. If I didn't know there was shiso and kiwi I would've thought it was just a citrus sorbet.

The Rice crisps and kiwi chartreuse was a different story altogether. The citrus from the kiwi was very tart. But the chartreuse did offset it. But the one thing good about this dessert I really liked was that it wasn't cloying sweet. And, the rice crisp was actually rice paper deep fried to give it a nice texture. 





MIGNARDISE 

And, if you thought we were done, you'd be wrong. We got a parting sweets of Chocolate truffles which were decadent and a strawberry cream, which was light and refreshing. 





WINES:

1. Domaine Merlin Francois Condrieu terroirs.  
Fresh, succulent stonefruit with a citrus backbone. Often typified by warm tropical fruit and a touch of oak. Aromas of ripe citrus, nectarine and passion fruit drive this style.  
2.  Savigny Les Beaune Premier cru Les Pellets Domaine Guyon 2011.
From Barolo to Bordeaux, these wines are steeped in tradition. The style covers a broad spectrum of flavor profiles, but tend to be elegant and structured and can be cellared for a long time. Characteristics: Earth, Bell pepper, Tobacco, Cassis, Cedar
Structure.

(source: wine searcher)



SUMMARY

I'm not easily impressed, but I have to say that this restaurant definitely impressed me. I now know why they recently earned a Michelin star. 

So, if you see the menu and have a choice between the 3, 5, 7 courses, it's actually more. I'm not a big eater, so I was glad the portion sizes were flavor sizes.

Everything we had was a treat. The service was impeccable. If I have any complaints at all is that, sitting in the lower level next to the stairs was a bit annoying when people came up and down the stairs, it became quite loud. It cannot be avoided.

Our lunch was quite expensive due to the wines, with one being 90€. With aperitifs,  the 3-course lunch at 65€ pre-fixe menu and 2-bottles of wine, which were quite pricey, our bill came to 759€ or 108.50€ per person. Was it worth the money, and would we go back. Resoundingly, YES to both questions. 

CHAPEAU GRANITE RESTAURANT!







 

































 

No comments :

Post a Comment