About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Sunday, May 1, 2022

The Tower of Montlhéry – Chez Denise -- Restaurant Review

5 rue des Prouvaires 75001 Paris 

Tel: 01 42 36 21 82

Metro: Châtelet – Les Halles – Louvre Rivoli

Monday to Friday from 12:00 p.m. to 12:45 a.m.

Closed Saturday and Sunday


Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor

€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)

1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)

4 - Stars....................................................€€........................................................ 2.5 - Bell


Chez Denise is an institution. It was where butchers and food workers use to come from Les Halles when it was where animals were slaughtered and butchered.  Chez Denise is still located in the original spot for about a century now, but the butchers and food workers have since moved, and the area gentrified.  Chez Denise is known for their very big "HEARTY" typical french country food. No frills, just good home country french cooking, and be forewarn the portions are large.

If you wanna see what a traditional french bistro looks like, this is it. Snug tables, chalk board menus and with the exception of the patronage, it's still its authentic self.

They're known for their Cotes de Boeuf (steak) and fries. But they're also known for their offal, such as their tripe cooked in calvados (Apple brandy).  I've had them all in the past and they were delicious, but huge portions,

NOTE: I'm only going to review the dishes that I had.



Bone Marrow.  This dish is not for everyone. It is a very rich dish, although I heard it's very nutritious. In fact, I only ordered it if a friend of mine promised to help me eat it. I'm good to go with one or 2 at most.

The morrow was simply prepared with a garnish of parsley, The rich marrow spread over a whole wheat bread was delicious. It's like a rich buttery flavor without dairy if that makes any sense. It was definitely good and hearty.


Veal liver:  I was originally thinking of getting the cote de boeuf, but I thought that'd be too much. Plus it's a meal for 2. So, I ordered the liver. In France, you you normally order it medium to medium rare (a point). I ordered the latter, since I find anything cooked beyond that just  too rubbery. 

The liver was cooked perfectly, tender, juicy and with natural juices. It was basically cooked with salt and pepper, but topped with crispy bacon, talk about cholesterol on a plate. Oh well. I don't do it often so it was a nice treat.




Strawberry Mousse: The group ordered one-strawberry mousse. I was shocked how large it was. It looked like something you'd get from the California chain restaurant "Claim Jumper" known for their ginormous desserts.

I took a bite of it, it was quite tart for strawberries and not cloyingly sweet. The mousse portion was light because it was quite aerated. Some thought it was good, while others said it was just OK, nothing extraordinary. 





SUMMARY 

We've been coming to this restaurant since 2008, when we first moved to Paris. I take my friends here from out-of-town who want to experience a typical french bistro. With the exception of the patronage, not much has changed with this restaurant. It's a no frills restaurant known for their HEARTY meals of natural richness from the marble of the steaks, to the throw away meats that are offals.

I happen to like this restaurant a lot because of its authenticity. If you're looking for fine dining, and beautiful presentations, this is not the restaurant for you. But if you want to have a typical french meal without all the fanfare etc., then this is the place for you. Although this restaurant is heavy on the meat side, there are a few seafood dishes such as salmon.

For 5 of us, we had one bottle of Samur Champigny (cabernet franc), 2-glasses of their house chardonnay, 3-cafe cremes, one dessert, 1 bottle water, 2 appetizers, 5 mains, our bill came to 240€ or 48€ per person.

Would I go back? ABSOLUTELY, and I have time-and-time again. 

NOTE: this is one of the few restaurants in Paris that is serves very late. I've gone there as late as midnight. 









 

1 comment :

  1. Thank you. I had been looking for a place that serves "lapin" on their menu. I never found it on my first trip but was told later it would be found in either a Basque or French country bistro. The more upper class restaurants usually don't serve it. I will definitely try this place on my next visit

    ReplyDelete