About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

LA PLUME RESTAURANT -- Restaurant Review

 

For contact, directions and to make reservations, click on this link https://laplumeparis.com/

Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor

€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)

1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)

4 - Star.......................................€€€€....................................... 2 - Bell


This restaurant is quite the looker. It occupies the top 2 floors of the building and has an excellent view of St. Eustache. 

The interior is modern with lots of windows. It's a bit dark, but I assume it's to create a sultry romantic atmosphere. 

The floor before the top floor is the restaurant. As you go one flight up, the rooftop, they have an outdoor bar with with a great atmosphere and great views of St. Eustache and Les Halles. 



Now onto the dining experience. Jack and I were about 5-minutes late, the others were already seated at the bar. They told them they were not going to seat us until we all arrived, fair enough. As we got to the entrance to the restaurant no one was showing us to our table, so I asked the guy by the front of the entrance, we're ready for our table, then he asked, do you have a reservations? He went to the front the desk and got it straightened out and we finally got to our table. 

It is a very Japanese inspired restaurant, a part of the Madame Reve hotel group.

They have quite the extensive menu. We decided we would share entrées and each of us would order our own main.


ENTRÉES

Shishito peppers--One of my favorite snacks. In the batch you'll never know if one of them can make you a fire breathing dragon. But normally they're mild in "heat". The only complaint about this dish, it was very under seasoned. It could use something as simple as salt. Some of us stuck in the available sauces they gave, to bring the flavors up  a notch.




Gyoza with beef Wagyu. -- I always think it's a sin to cook it any other way then grilled or seared. But this was made into a gyoza, a cardinal sin. But reality is, it was delicious and the accompanying sauce was spectacular. 





Avocat Croquants--Crispy avocados. I've never had fried avocados before, I'm a new believer, they were delicious. Surprisingly they had a little bit of heat. Don't know if it was just in the batter, but I think it was mostly in the sauce. Excellent entrée.






I'm only going to review the Plat principal that I had, but will mentioned what the others ordered, to give you an idea of the variety they serve, They serve poulpe (octopus), Pork ribs, Short ribs,  Poulet Karaage encroute shichimi (chicken). And, we had a fabulous side of Aubergine miso, perfumed rice, young spinach, and spicy mashed potatoes. NOTE: sides are extra and unlike other french restaurants, bread (baguettes) are not served. 




What a great dish. I had the short ribs with garnish white rice. The short rib was melt in your mouth and sweet/salt sauce was a great flavor enhancer. Definitely Japanese style of cooking. Some of the sides that I really liked was the baby spinach, which was tossed in Japanese mayo and sesame seeds and I also liked the spicy mashed potatoes. Overall, this was my favorite short ribs of all time. 


WINES




Chinon, Vieilles vignes Dom de la Mariniere 2019 

"An expressive nose of red fruits, raspberry and blackcurrant. A round and full mouth, there is fruit with a fatty texture with a nice grip in the mouth, tannic structure present, nice freshness with note of undergrowth. A tasty and full-bodied Chinon."








Crozes-hermitage "les Terres Blanches" Domaine Belle 2019

"This Crozes Hermitage is ample and light, it gives the impression of a delicacy. There are notes of Mirabelle plums and apricots, then in a second step, we can feel powdery aromas of marshmallow and sandalwood. Some floral notes (lily of the valley and broom). The whole gives a harmonious whole around the gluttony." ~ Croze Hermitage.







SUMMARY 

Our reservations were for 7:30 pm. I realized later into the night this is a late start restaurant. It was practically empty at 7:30pm when we arrived and there were more staff than customers. But just before 10 it got packed. They literally asked us to leave, cause you're only allowed to have your table for 2-hours and we were at 2;20 minutes, and another group was waiting.

I think you all know how I feel about turning tables. But this was particularly painful since it's a such an expensive restaurant. 

We had cocktails at the bar, so we settled that bill before dinner.

We had 3-entrées shared. 6-plats, 1-bottle of Badoit, 6-sides, 2-bottlers of wine (champagne was paid separately), 3-additional glasses of wine, our bill came to €560 or €93/person. Reality it should be more like €150 per person with champagne and cocktails 

I thought the food was great, service was great, price point was horrible. Also note, wines are very expensive, averaging €22 per glass.

What I hated most of all is that they turn tables. Because of that I probably won't return, unless friends insist on going.  I like having leisurely unhurried meals. 



1 comment :

  1. A later reservation would probably mean that no one would be waiting for the able after midnight.

    ReplyDelete