About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Postiche -- Restaurant Review



64 Rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau
75001 Paris, France
Tel: 
01 42 36 14 90
Metro: Les Halles
Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor
€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses) Note: Does not include beverages

1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-75); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-80); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (80+)


  3 - stars................................................................€................................................................. 2 - Bell

There's a whole other place in the 1er arrondissement that I haven't really explored. A friend invited us for a lunch, and I was excited about going since it's a few doors down from one of my favorite wine bars "O-Chateau".  It's a relatively small restaurant, but they do have sitting upstairs. My guess is that they could easily accommodate 30 people. 





They have a special lunch menu for 15€ for an entrée + plat or a plat + dessert. These were all very, very reasonable prices, and they didn't have an extensive selection, but as most know, I prefer a small menu done right, then lots of items done poorly. 











ENTRÉES:

Two us got the "Salad au lard, oeuf poache et noix" (Salad with bacon, poached eggs and nuts).  The salad was good. The eggs perfectly poached and the bacon was nice and crispy like I like it!  As salads go, this was a very good salad, but nothing out of the ordinary. 










One person got the "Velouté de potiron" (Cream of pumpkin soup), I'm not a big fan of pumpkin soup, so I deferred to our companion.  He stated it was good, but a bit too thick and because pumpkin really doesn't have much flavor, he said it could've used more spices, but overall he thought it was a good dish!


PLATS:

Three of us had the "Filet de haddock poché, lait de coco aux agrumes" (Poached haddock fillet, coconut milk with citrus).  The haddock was "dried and salted" which is a normal way to preserve haddock. So, it was re-constituted. At first bite I thought, wow this is salty; however, mixing it with the accompanying mashed potatoes, vegetables and scooping it up the sauce with a hint of coconut flavoring and citrus, it was quite tasty and enjoyable. So, overall, this was also a good dish, but nothing extraordinary. 






One friend had the "Saumon gravlax, creme aux herbes fraiche" (Gravlax salmon, creme fraiche with herbs).  It was a simple, good dish and it was served with a nice salad of different greens! It was good.





DESSERTS:


As usual, I got the cheese plate. This was one of my favorite cheeses "Saint Marcellin". Normally the cheese is served at room temperature, so that it sort of melts in your mouth. Unfortunately, the cheese was served a little too cold for my liking, but I still loved the cheese.





Two had the "Soupe de clémentines à l'anis" (Clementine soup with anise).  Slices of clementines with an accompanying broth of anise. They thought the flavors combined well and both loved this dessert!





SUMMARY: 



This is a good place to go for lunch. The food is by no means extraordinary, but what they do serve is done very well. And, for the price you can't beat it. With 2-bottles of  "Ventous", 2-glasses of sauvignon blanc, 2-coffees and a brandy, our bill came to 77€ per couple or 38.50€ per person!

Would I go back, sure, porquoi pas? It's good food for a reasonable price.

No comments :

Post a Comment