About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Sunday, April 21, 2019

La Verrière Paris -- Restaurant Review


4 rue Nièpce Paris, 75014
Metro: Line 13 Pernety
 +33 (0) 183 756 921
Check website for opening times
Note: Reservations can be made online
Website: https://www.niepceparis.com/en/la-verriere-paris-restaurant/

Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor
€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)
1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)

4 - Star....................................................€€........................................................ 1 - Bell

Wanted to catch up with a friend of ours so I selected this restaurant because it's not far from us and I heard about it. First let me start off by saying, this is an absolutely beautiful restaurant. As you entered, it looks very deceiving, then you walk down this Marilyn Monroe staircase where everyone in the restaurant can see you saunter in, if you like to see and be seen. 😉

Note: it's located next to Hotel Nièpce and I believe it's part of the hotel.




You get a wow moment as you enter the restaurant. There's a large ceiling of glass and it almost feels as if you're outdoors; however, the restaurant is temperature controlled, so yes, it is air conditioned, so you're not gonna feel like you're in a sauna.  And, there's a full bar; unfortunately, they weren't very well versed on how to make some martinis eg, "dirty martini" but that's ok, cause their wine selection was enormous.



OK, now onto the food. We were served an amuse bouche of cheese gougères and some almonds. Very light and nice start to our meal.













ENTRÉES




L’ASPERGE / THE ASPARAGUS
Vertes et blanches, accompagnées d’un oeuf parfait, Furikake

Green and white asparagus, poached egg, Furikake

Two of us had this dish. I love asparagus especially with a poached egg. It's just a good simple classic french entrée. The different twist for this was it had a heavy sprinkling of "furikake" (A mixture of dried fish, sesame seeds, chopped seaweed, sugar, & salt). This added texture and brought it to another level. The asparagus was perfectly cooked. Only minor complaint that I have is the poached egg continued cooking in the residual heat, so was not as creamy as I would've wanted, but still delicious.



LE VEAU COMME UN CARPACCIO MI-CUIT BASSE TEMPÉRATURE
LOW TEMPERATURE HALF-COOKED VEAL
Sauce Tonnato wasabi / Tonnato wasabi sauce

Jack had this dish. I personally thought it was more cold than at room temperature, but that was OK for me since I like refrigerator cold food, especially on a warm day. It was a very good dish. The wasabi was not at all overpowering and it was accompanied with pickle radish. It reminded me of a cold roulade.






PLATS





LE COCHON IBÉRIQUE BIO
Choux pack Choi, takénoko, miso / pak choi, tekenoko, miso

Two of us got this dish. This to me definitely had flavors of Asia. It had a sweet, salty, and sour component, balancing out the flavors in one's tongue. It was accompanied by a tiny mound of eggplant. I particularly liked the "tekenoko" (Simmered bamboo shoots, cooked  in dashi (stock) and seasonings such as soy sauce, mirin, sake and sugar. When dried bonito flakes, or katsuobushi, is added, this dish may also be referred to as takenoko no tosani)

The pork came out very tender and very evenly cooked, so well executed that I'd be willing to bet they "sous-vide" cooked it. I just had one minor complain, it was tad bit salty for me.



LE CHIRASHI “NIÈPCE"
Riz Minori, saumon, Thon rouge, radis bleu
Minori rice, salmon, tuna, thinly sliced blue meat radish

Jack ordered this dish. Chirashi is basically a "bowled" dish. For me it looked a lot like a "de-constructed" nori-maki sushi. Jack loved the dish for the freshness of the dish and the radishes. A hit for him.







Note: Although they had a nice collections of desserts we opted not to have any since we were more than full. 




WINE: BOURGOGNE
Macon Villages - 2017 - Château Fuissé 

"The typical Mâcon-Villages wine is lightly floral and fruity, with a warm hint of citrus fruit. The best examples have a gently nutty character, reminiscent of almonds or hazelnuts."--(wine searcher).

Jack was thrilled to see they had a Margaux by the glass.

















SUMMARY

As Jack and I say, we can thank foreigners, especially Asian Chefs for the future of French cuisine by injecting new life, new flavors and an exciting twist on food, but using French techniques. In this case, the Chef is Japanese Chef Kayori Hirano.

"Well, I have been specializing in Franco-Japanese Teppanyaki since 2007. I’ve had the opportunity of discovering, creating and developing my cuisine at the Tour d’Argent, the Hotel de Crillon and the Peninsula. Working with Chef Christopher Hache and Chef Sidney Radel was a wonderful experience for me. My approach to cooking comes in large part from these two great Chefs. Today, my cuisine is really French cuisine fused with my Japanese roots."

I thought the food was very good. We had a 1:30 pm lunch reservations and the last seating was at 2 pm. The restaurant is absolutely beautiful. It was rather empty, but then again it's a holiday week-end (Easter), so many left town. Our friend Sarah was delayed because of the demonstrations that blocked the road. So we didn't start ordering til about 2 pm. Although, we didn't feel rushed, I could tell they were anxious to get us going, only because I know the "scene". But Americans would've thought it normal. But the service was EXCELLENT.

I liked everything that was served to us. Just had minor, minor complaints about the egg and the pork sauce was a tad salty for me. However, we all commented what a nice restaurant to dine in. Although the bartender didn't have a large repertoire of American cocktails, you can give him instructions on how to make it, and he'll make it for you.

Will we go back. ABSOLUTELY. It's in our hood and we walked there from our apartment

Monday-Friday, they have a prix-fixe menu. But because we went on Saturday we paid a la cart. So with 2-entrées, 2-plats, 1-bottle of water, 1-glass of red wine 1-bottle of white wine and 2-teas our bill came to $198 for 3 people or 66€ per person.



No comments :

Post a Comment