About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Monday, April 15, 2024

Vin et Marée Murat -- Restaurant Review

Check website for locations, menu and to make reservations

Website: https://vin-et-maree.restaurant/murat/

Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor 

€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)

1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)

3.75 - Star........................................€€€................................... 2 - Bells


I'm back. After 2-days of jet lag recovery and my accidental fall, I decided it was time for me to go out and discover a new restaurant. I chose a seafood restaurant. This restaurant is actually a seafood chain restaurant with 4-restaurants in Paris. I'm usually hesitate of chain restaurants, but we're not in US anymore and they can vary and have their own personalities. 

I've been craving seafood, and a friend was in town and staying in the 16eme, so I decided on this chain restaurant. We chose the one in the 16eme. It's a large restaurant. A bar is located in the center and on either side are the dining rooms. 


The interior of the restaurant wasn't particularly Parisian, but keeping to its theme, they had a lot of seafood decor.


They did have a chalkboard with the special of the evening. 



















ENTRÉE

I opted not to have an entrée, since I was going to get the "fruit de mer".  

Sarindes Rôties a la fleur de Guerande. 

My two companions ordered this appetizer. They were delicious. Even though they were grilled they were quite moist. The guerande salt added a nice finishing touch. I ate the whole fish, whereas my companions filet'd it before eating. I even went as far as eating the whole head, cause it was that good. But I'm a heathen. 



PLATS


 
CHOCROUTE DE LA MER.

JJ ordered this dish. The fish in this dish was salmon. The salmon sat atop sauerkraut, but did not taste vinegary. It was a nicely composed dished. It was good with the cream sauce, and very moist. And, the potatoes was a great starch accompaniment. 








Belle sole entière à la plancha beurre.

Our friend ordered this dish. Very simply pan fried sole with a buttery lemon sauce on the side served with whipped mashed potatoes. Basically, it's a Sole meunièreShe liked the dish, but said it could have been cooked a tad more. I happened to like the accompanying butter sauce. 




FRUITS DE MER -- I ordered this cold seafood dish typical in France. It is served with nothing more than lemon and/or a vinaigrette dipping sauce. This is what was on the seafood platter, ½ Beau Homard d’Amérique du Nord, 4 Belles crevettes roses BIO, 2 Spéciales BIO de Quiberon, 2 Fines de Normandie par R. Verneuil, 2 Spéciales GILLARDEAU, Bulots - Crevettes grises. So very nice choices.

My fav was the half lobster, it was so sweet and tender. It's not an inexpensive platter at 59€; however, much more reasonable than many of the seafood places around the city such as, "Le Dome." 


DESSERT 

MANGO WITH SYRUP. 

Fruit with syrup can oftentimes taste like canned fruit. Fortunately, this did not. It was a very simple refreshing dish, nothing out of the ordinary. 





TASTING NOTES:  Chinon.  It's known for its lovely intensity of color. On the nose, the wine has aromas of coffee and sweet pepper with a hint of camphor mixed with vanilla. On the palate, aromas of undergrowth mixed with musk and blueberry. Solid structure with silky smooth tannins.





SUMMARY 


This is a good restaurant if you're craving for seafood. It's nothing out of the ordinary and you can get much of this at other seafood places. It is a chain, but I find chains in Paris can often be different from one location to another. Again, there are 4-locations in Paris. 

The "fruit de mer" selection was good. For me, the perfect amount. If you go to e.g., "Le Dome" you may get more, but you also pay a premium. Although the "fruit de mer" of 59€ is not cheap, comparatively speaking, it's quite reasonable. 

The others who ordered the warm dishes said they were good dishes, I particularly liked the grilled sardines. What distinguishes this restaurant from all the others was the service. It was beyond excellent.

For 2-spritz's, 1-pastis, 3-glasses of Saint Bris, 2-entrées, 2-plats, 1-"fruit de mer", 1-desert and 1-bottle of Chinon came to 230.30€ or 77€ a person.

NOTE: Although we spent an average of 77€/person, my dish skewed the average prices. So depending on your order, the meal can be very reasonable. 

Would we go back, ABSOLUTELY.





No comments :

Post a Comment