About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Automne -- Restaurant Review


11 Rue Richard Lenoir
75011 Paris
Reservations: 01 40 09 03 70
Website: http://www.automne-akishige.com/
Check website for opening hours 

Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor
€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)
1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)


3.5 - Star......................................................€€......................................................... 2 - Bell



Well, I just got back into town. I needed about a week to recuperate from jet lag, but afterwards I went off and running trying different new restaurants. My good friend, Liz is also in town and had recommended this restaurant. It's a Japanese owned and run restaurant with Nobuyuki AKISHIGE at the helm. Aside from him in the kitchen, he had one kitchen helper. So it's quite a small operation.


The interior is quite small and has sort of an L-shape layout. The kitchen is visible through a glass partition. My guess is the restaurant can squeeze in about 24-people.







They had an a-la-carte menu, but we opted to have the lunch specials "prix-fixe" lunch. There wasn't a big selection, but it was enough to satisfy our wants. So, if you want larger portions or other dishes, you'll need to order from the a-la-carte menu.



















Note: I'm only reviewing the dishes that I had.

Boudin noir fait maison — purée de pomme vert — cresson.  (Homemade black pudding - green apple puree - watercress).  This is normally a sausage, but the chef created a "squared" off pudding without the casing. It was actually quite delicious and had the familiar iron taste of, for lack of better word, blood (boudin noir/black pudding is a blood sausage). Paired with the sourness of the apples which I think may have had a touch of yuzu, it brought a nice acid, along with the cresson, to cut into some of the richness and fat of the boudin. I thought it was a very good combination and a good dish. The menu indicated the boudin is made on premises.




Cuisse de Pintade a la moutarde — racine de persil — pousse de moutarde. (Guinea fowl leg with mustard - parsley root - mustard shoots). For my plat I had the guinea fowl. I assumed the skin would have been crispy, but it was actually not. It was quite soft and upon tasting it, it did melt in your mouth. The flesh was extremely moist and the accompanying sauce of mustard and parsley was a nice combination. I wish there had been a little more vegetables than the shredded mustard greens for garnish. But the guinea portion was a nice portion and it was very satisfying.


Desserts: Two had desserts and said they liked it. a chocolate mousse and a Muenster cheese.



SUMMARY

Overall, I thought it was a very good restaurant. It was definitely above average, and the price point was good. But did it wow me, I'd have to say no, but I would definitely go back. As for the service, the staff were very attentive; however, since it is a one man show, it can be quite slow based on American standards.

For 5-people, three had the entrée/plat, and two had the entrée/plat/dessert; 2-glasses of their house pinot noir, 4-sodas, and 2-coffees our bill came to 165€ or 33€ per person.









1 comment :