About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

MARCORE -- Restaurant Review


1 rue de Panoramas - 75002
 01 45 08 00 08
website: www.marcore-paris.com 

Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor
€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)
1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)

4.25 - Star....................................................€€........................................................ 2 - Bell



OK folks, I'm back. In fact I just arrived last week from a 4-month traveling hiatus. So when a friend asked us to join him and his wife for lunch, we didn't hesitate for one minute.




This restaurant is very new, not even open a month, in fact it's not completely open. And, they're also building a traiteur with the same namesake across the street. Now we weren't sure if they were fully open to the public, but we were able to have lunch at their "soft-opening". Actually, the area we ate is the bar bistronomique on the main floor and the restaurant located on the 2nd story and the traiteur still under construction will officially be open in May.



While we were waiting Mr. "J's" wife they gave us some amuse bouche, a crostini topped with potatoes a hint of anchovies, beef carpaccio and pickled chilis.

I get the impression that an amuse bouche, for now is not going to be the norm, cause our wait person said it was special to us from the chef.

It was delicious and a nice start. I hope they do incorporate this as a regular on their menu.





We perused the menu. The lunch prix-fixe prices were excellent by western standards. Having just returned from the US and other places, I can say that I find restaurant eating, unless you go to a very high end restaurant, very affordable in Paris.


Two of us decided to get the 3-course fixed, I got the 2-course fixed and Mr. "J" got 2-entrées a-la-cart.



ENTRÉES



Mâche coquille de Monsieur pi/betteraves/maquereau fumé. (Mr pi / beets mackerel / smoked mackerel).  Three of us got this starter. I really like this a lot, it was a very well composed dish. Beets are normally sweet to begin with, but these were particularly sweet, I assumed they were sweetened a tad more so that it could balance the citrusy of the salad. There were thin sliced turnips to add another level of texture, and the mackerel was "cru/crudo". I would definitely order this dish again.




Terrine foie gras de canard/figues sèches/agrumes. (Terrine duck foie gras / dried figs / citrus.) Mr. "J" got this dish. I had a bite and although it was good, I found the figs in the terrine too sweet. But it's a personal preference, I don't like sweet "things" in savory dishes. But Mr. "J" liked it so that's all that matters.













PLATS



Merlu de ligne de Saint Jean de Luz/Carottes/Moutarde-raifort. (line caught Hake Saint Jean de Luz / Carrots / Mustard-horseradish.) Two of us got this dish. Personally, aesthetically, I think the dish could've used a little more green. Those that had this fish said that although it was good, the fish was a bit bland. The carrots were a combination of sweet mash topped with whole sliced carrots. Good dish, but has room or improvement.


Morilles à la crème/savagnin/œuf de poule/ail des ours. (Morels with cream / savagnin (type of grapes) / chicken egg / wild garlic). Although this dish was an entrée, Mr. "J" ordered it as a plat.  I normally like having a piece of protein (meat, fish, poultry) in my plat, but I have to say after tasting this "lacto-ovo-vegetarians" dish I could definitely just have this and I would be very happy. It was in a heavy cream and I tasted a hint of mustard, and under the cracker was a poached egg. The morels were so naturally delicious. This was a hit dish for me. I'm not sure what the wafer was since I didn't taste it, but I have a suspicion it was a cheese wafer. If someone goes back, let me know so I can add this to this review.


Poitrine de veau/légumes primeur de saison/jus de viande. (Veal breasts / seasonal vegetables / gravy.) I had this dish. I actually liked this dish. The veal had the right amount of fat that added natural flavor to the veal. The vegetables were a nice variety of spinach, carrots, baby purple potatoes. And, the natural jus from the beef was a great combination. Although this dish wasn't large, it actually filled me up. Overall a good dish with a nice balance of veggies and starches.  Interestingly, the jus which was poured after the dish was placed was then also poured over the 2 fish dishes.








DESSERTS



Ile Flottante (Floating Island). Only 2 of us got dessert. Now I have to say, this used to be one of my favorite french desserts when I ate sugar many years ago, but typically the meringue representing the island is huge. This was very small, but I guess size isn't everything and the flavors will be the deciding factor. Both liked the dessert and said it was very good. It had sprinkling of nuts topped with a sweet nutty cracker.



WINES




Grains d’estuaire (P’tite Folie) Chardonnay 2015 (white).  "P’tite Folie (‘a little extravagance’) : A wine perfect in balance, finesse and power. Its 6 month aging in oak barrels gives this elegant wine a beautiful expression. Decanting P’tite Folie will hit you with an explosion of fruit flavours. Combine with fish, seafood and cheese." ~~ (description obtained from their website)

Turbigo (Cinsault) (red). "Here's a crunchy, juicy red that's an absolute delight. The nose is perfumed with notes of blood orange peel and violets, alongside morello cherries and wild strawberries. The palate, meanwhile, is chalky and fresh, with wonderful saline drive on the finish. For the price, this is brilliant: a red you'll want on your table".  (description obtained from their website). As an aside, this wine is bottled in Paris.  Although this was a hit with the others, Jack did not particularly like it.


SUMMARY

It's nice to be back in Paris and reviewing restaurants. And, it's so much fun reviewing restaurants with friends and fellow bloggers who truly enjoy good food and good wine. This restaurant is manned by Chef Marc Favier and Aurélie Alary.  The chef has quite the pedigree, he helped create Bouillon Rochechouart 47, a very popular well known Parisian restaurant.

I thought the interior of the restaurant was beautiful. The tables were nicely spaced. What I did find odd was that it was carpeted. Boy, they're gonna have a hard time with stains et.al. But this space is intended to be the "BAR BISTRONOMIQUE" and the main restaurant will be upstairs, which is still under construction. They are also building a traiteur (catering/takeout) across the street. So, considering they're not completely open and serving in the bar area, kudos to them for giving us an excellent meal.

Now onto the food. I absolutely adored the beet entrée; whereas, although good, the foie gras was a tad sweet for me. It's already rich enough on its own. Personally, I prefer it with cornichons. As for the plats, I thought the morels were delicious, fabulously packed with some rich deep creamy flavors. The next dish I liked was the veal, tender and just the right amount of fat. And, lastly the hake although good, could use a little work with the presentation and adding a little more flavor in the fish although when eaten together with the carrot accompaniment it was fine . But considering they're not officially open, everything was very good. I understand there will be several restaurant critics reviewing the restaurant next week. I'm sure they'll tweak their menu based on their feedback. 

Would we go back ABSOLUTELY! Can't wait til the traiteur and especially the restaurant open, which are both scheduled to open in May. 

With 2-pre-fixe meals with 3-courses, 1-pre-fixed with 2-courses, and 2 entrées a-la-carte, 2-bottles of wine, 3-coffees, our total bill came to 222€ or 55.50€ per person.



No comments :

Post a Comment