About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Friday, May 3, 2019

Sourire -- Restaurant Review


27 rue Galande 75005 Paris
Metro: line 10 (Maubert – Mutualité)
Check website for operating schedule and menu
https://www.sourire-restaurant.com/sourire-tapas-francaises


Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor
€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)
1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)

3.25 - Stars....................................................€€........................................................ 2 - Bell


This is a neighborhood close to Boulevard Saint-Germain which I normally don't dine in, primarily because I find it too touristy and the food is generally not good. So, at a recommendation of my friend we went and made reservations for a late lunch 13:30h at this French tapas restaurant. They have 2-restaurants in Paris, and one in Bayonne. It's in a great location close to the Ile de la Cité, but then again lots of tourists.


The interior was long and narrow and they actually had a few tables on the terrace. Nothing out of the ordinary, but quaint. We sat in front of the front window at a more casual setting with a coach and a long coffee table.

This is a french tapas restaurant, it seems like we ordered a lot for 3-people, but it was actually the perfect amount because they were just tasting portions (see link for menu).


1.  Burrata. The burrata was nice and smooth and overall good tasting. The pesto cream with the twill was a nice accompaniment.













2. Cheese plate. A great selection of cheeses: comté, basque brebis and an aged brie. It was accompanied with a sweet confiture.














3. Beetroot salad. Salad was very refreshing, and what's not to like about fresh beetroots served along with tzatziki (cucumber yogurt sauce).











4. Fries. We had a mix of sweet potato and regular fries. Nicely salted and crispy. I especially liked the sweet potato fries.











5. Asparagus. Asparagus is in season and these were good. Perfectly cooked and accompanied with a citrus and morel sauce.












6. Salmon. "mi-cuit" (half-cooked). I didn't like this dish at all. First of all it was supposed to be half cooked, but it was completely cooked, dry and salty. So, I'll need to remember to skip this next time.












7. Iberian pork. We were all expecting some kind of charcuterie, almost like a prosciutto, so the menu is a little deceiving. Although, not what we expected, it was none-the-less very tasty with its sweet maple syrup glaze. It was accompanied by a tarragon sauce.








NOTE: We skipped dessert.


SUMMARY 


As I mentioned, I don't normally like dining in this area and always leave it to the tourists. However, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the food. And, although there was only one server, he kept the plates moving. The food was above average, with the exception of the salmon, atmosphere nice, service great. Would I go back, yes, if I'm in the neighborhood and I just want to nosh, ABSOLUTELY.

For 7-tapas dishes, 1-bottle of wine, our bill came to 92€ or rounded up about 31€ per person, "pas mal" NOT BAD.

No comments :

Post a Comment