About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Friday, September 17, 2021

Milagro -- Restaurant Review

 


Please refer to website for address and contact information
https://www.milagroparis.com/


Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor

€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)

1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)


4 - Stars....................................................€€........................................................ 2 - Bell



I'M BACK!

Before we went to US after being away for 18-months, due to the lockdowns, and just right after restaurants starting opening up, we had heard about Milagro from several friends and that we must go. But we were scheduled to leave for US so were not able to make it.

So, we returned recently, coincidentally one of our oldest (figuratively) Parisian friends said we must go. She's known the chef since he was 8-years old, an American Justin Kent, who has worked at several American and Parisian restaurant, the latter most notably "Verjus" in the 1er, also owned by an American.

Talk about location, location, location. It is close to the Eiffel tower, Champs de Mars and also Ecole Militaire.


The interior is cozy and warm.  And, the staff, both South American, were so friendly and enthusiastic it was contagious. 



Please keep in mind, I'm only reviewing dishes that I ate. 



ENTRÉE 


We shared the entrees. And, they were all delicious:

A.  Artichauts frits, mayonnaise maison à l’aneth (Fried artichokes with a dill mayonnaise). 

This was my favorite appetizer, because besides being fried it was light. But let's face it, anything fried tastes good. But the dill mayonnaise was a great accompaniment.

B.   Piment de Padrón, sauce green goddess. (Grilled padron peppers)

My Second favorite. There's nothing better than simple grilled shisho or padron peppers as far as I'm concerned. Grilled, fast and fiery then sprinkled with coarse sel de mer and I'm good to go. What Justin did was add a green goddess sauce of his concoction (it had an aoli base). This added a different dimension and it worked, delicious. 

CTomates anciennes, Ossau-lraty, pignons de pin, vinaigrette, basilic (Heirloom tomatoes, Ossau-lraty, pine nuts, vinaigrette, basil)  

One thing I have to say about France, tomatoes taste like tomatoes. The tomatoes were fantastic, very naturally sweet with the slight tartness that you'd expect. The accompanying pine nuts, vinaigrette and basil did not deter from the star of the dish, but complimented it well. We all liked it. 

C. Poulpe, tomate, fenouil, câpres (Octopus, tomato, fennel, capers)

Good, but my least favorite. The flavors were all there, unfortunately, I felt the octopus too tough and bits were not charred, but burnt. 


OVERALL, I thought the appetizers were a hit.






PLATS 

Gnocchis de ricotta, boulettes de porc au fenouil, pesto (Ricotta gnocchi, pork balls with fennel, pesto)

I was the only one that got this main dish. I absolutely loved it. I do like gnocchi normally, but with added pork balls it made it more a complete "meat & potato" dish. I love pesto, so that only made it better. 

Overall, a very well composed dish.




DESSERT

As many of you know I don't eat sugar. The photo on the left was an apricot crumble, while on the right was a lemon meringue. Both good, I was told.


SUMMARY:

The restaurant has only been open 2 1/2 months. I think Justin has done a great job considering all the bureaucratic obstacles of opening a restaurant in Paris.  The entrées were delicious, and although the octopus was tasty, it needs a little work.

My main course was delicious, hearty and very satisfying. But be aware a bit heavy for some, but go figure as skinny as I am I ate the whole thing.

As you know I don't eat sugar, but the desserts were good American staples. His restaurant boasts a combination of South American, North American and Asian influences. You can definitely see this in the menu. 

The staff were infectiously happy and so helpful. Service was above board. And, Justin couldn't have been a better host. 

Normally, I'd say how much we spent on average etc., but remember we were celebrating our return to Paris, so the bill would be skewed towards the high end because of the high end champagnes and wines. Please refer to the menu on his website to give you an idea of the average cost per meal. 

Do I recommend this restaurant, ABSOLUTELY!



No comments :

Post a Comment