About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Monday, April 25, 2022

Les Mauvais Garçons -- Restaurant Review

 


4, rue des Mauvais Garçons 75004
Tel: 01 42 72 74 97
Metro: Line 1 (Hotel de Ville)
Reservations can be made online at La Fourchette

Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor
€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)
1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)
3.5 - Stars....................................................€€........................................................ 2 - Bell

I'm back. After a 6-month winter hiatus to US, I'm ready to start reviewing new and established restaurants. Since Covid lockdown in Paris, the restaurant scene has changed, but the enthusiasm to return to business and diners going out to dine is at a very enthusiastic level.  

I've walked by this restaurant several times. It's located in the center of "Gay Paree."  What inspired me to make reservations is that it was Sunday, and Sundays and Mondays most restaurants are closed in Paris, whereas tourist restaurants, that basically serve food 7/7 reheat and doctor up prepared foods, are open. But there are a few restaurant gems to be found that are open these days. So this was a nice surprise. The name means, "THE BAD BOYS." I guess we fit that description. It's not haut cuisine, but a go to place for unpretentious Lyonnaise style food.

NOTE:  I'll only review dishes that I tasted. 




Our Reservations were for 1:30 pm. We got there at 1:30 pm sharp, but our table wasn't ready, plus 2-other guests were late, so it was not a big deal, since we were NOT in a hurry. They had a little terrace out front and the manager served us saucisson sec (dried sausages) on the house and we ordered a carafe of their house white and red wine, which was not bad at all.








Escargots à la bourguignonne (entrée) 

I figured since I was back in France, why not have something very french, so I ordered the escargot. I have to say this was delicious, rich and succulent. The escargot was not rubbery at all and quite tender. The sauce was garlicky, oily enough to sop up with bread and lots of parsley. I loved it and so did the others that had the dish. It was a hit. I just can't be near anyone for the next few days with my garlic breath. Oh well.




Cuisses de grenouilles persillées et beurre (plat principal)

In keeping with my theme of staying french, I ordered frog legs. Now this dish is not for everyone because although it tastes like chicken, they do have little bones that you have to pull out. 

I thought the dish was good. It tasted a bit like battered fried chicken wings. It was battered, but not well. The crust started separating. But melanged with parsley and butter and tomatoes to give vibrancy was a good combination. I personally was expecting, since this is a Lyonnaise style restaurant, that the frog legs would've been served with a sauce. But it was still good and simple. 





DESSERT

I don't normally eat dessert, but for the sake of this review I did take a teaspoon of each.

1. Tarte a la praline rose 


It certainly wasn't pretty, but it actually tasted pretty good. But since I don't normally eat desserts I found it a bit rich and sweet. The raspberries didn't come out as much as I would have thought. I would've expected it to be a little tart, maybe that would cut down on the sweetness. 

2. Pain perdu brioché a la banane

Everyone at the table found this dessert delicious. Aside from being cloyingly sweet for me, the composition of the banana bread pudding was nice. The brioche was tender. 




This is the "Patron" Manager/owner of restaurant, Cyril. He could not have been nicer. Very attentive and so accommodating. 











SUMMARY

I've seen this restaurant for years, but never ventured in because, honestly, I don't find the restaurants in the 3eme/4eme very interesting and also they tend to be crowded and oftentimes filled with tourist or people who want to see and be seen. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE going there because of the great vibe, but it's not my first place to go when I think of interesting, innovative, excellent cuisine. But there are really good places to eat for an ordinary meal, and I go there often for pizza or a croque monsieur.  

With that said, I can't say enough good things about the the owner/manager. Although they were late setting up our table, he accommodated our needs while we waited, while others would not have been so kind. 

As for the food. The food was good, combined with the excellent attentive owner, I'd go back, but don't expect it to be haute cuisine. It's simple French bistro food cooked in the style of Lyon. I did not want to use our average cost, since we drank way too much wine. But on average a meal is about 35€ per person, so very affordable. 




1 comment :

  1. What a surprise, and such a rewarding one at that.
    Welcome back. Yes, we missed you and your reviews.
    Bravo on your return.
    Che Bello !!!

    ReplyDelete