About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Friday, May 6, 2022

CHEFS A TABLE -- Restaurant Review

UPDATED MAY 13, 2022


We returned today to celebrate our friend's birthday. As I predicted, the food evolved and flavor profiles were very much improve. The food was EXCELLENT. 

* The entrée was a roasted cauliflower that was so flavorful, I begged the chef to share what he used for seasoning. He said it was a secret, but gave an air-sealed bag of the spices he used to our friend.

* The plat was a lamb, it was out of this world tender. It was wrapped in seaweed, how inventive is that, with beautiful accompanying sauces.

* The dessert, we had a rhubarb with ice cream encased in white chocolate. It was so delicious and I don't even like rhubarb. 

We asked the 2-young chefs to join us for drinks to thank them for a lovely lunch. 

As of today's results, I have revised my rating. It has now become one of my destination restaurants. 


4.25 - Stars...................................€€ (with average priced wine) ...................................... 2 - Bell


 


15 Rue Trousseau, 75011
Metro: Line 8 (Ledru-Rollin)
Website:  https://www.chefs-a-table.com/

Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor

€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)

1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)



3.75 - Stars...................................€€ (with average priced wine) ...................................... 2 - Bell

Reviewed May 6, 2022


Our friend Sarah recommended this restaurant in the 11eme. It was quite a schlepp (50-min - 1-hour) from where we live so in the back of my mind I kept thinking this better be worth it. I believe the name of the restaurant is a play on the TV show "Chef's Table" which has been popularized not only throughout the US, but also in Europe. 




The interior was quite smart. I loved the colors. Very mid-century modern colors. The restaurant wasn't crowded at all. We think it's because it's a holiday week-end and it is very common for a lot of people to "bridge" their work day with a 3-day holiday, making it 4-days.


The menu was very easy to navigate since it's a prix-fixe menu (see website for specifics). You can have a 3-course lunch for 25€ special, other tasting menus are only for dinner; there's a classic french menu for 55€ for 5-courses, and even a vegetarian menu for 50€ for 5-courses. 


NOTE: I'm only going to review the dishes that I had. 


Fish Soup.

I don't know what possessed me to order soup on a warm spring day, since this would make perfect sense for winter. The soup was very mild, in fact there was just a hint of fish. The others tasted it and agreed it tasted more like yellow squash than fish, which I'm sure they used the fibers to create the thickness. Regardless, the soup was delicious and the crispy garlic croutons added a nice texture.

If I could rename this soup, I'd rename it squash soup made with fish stock. Because I actually expected the fish broth to be more pronounced, solely based on its name. 



Rack of pork (minus the rack) with polenta.

The meat was very tender, and the polenta was cooked perfect and smooth. The demi-glace they used was thick, rich and it accompanied the pork well. I think they could have done away with the chopped nuts and maybe added a vegetable. Because the pork with the sauce and polenta was so rich, it really needed a break of citrus at minimum and definitely a green to cut the fat and richness. Other than that it was technically cooked perfectly. 


Caramel Apples.

I thought this dessert was excellent. Not pretty nor elegant, but hit all the notes of a "DECONSTRUCTED" pomme de tarte, or a crumble without the oats. The crust was buttery and the apples not cloyingly sweet. It was a hit for all of us. 








WINE

The gang knew I rarely drink red wine, if I do it has to be something light like a pinot noir. Our wine expert selected this wine, and it was superb.

"The wine has a deep ruby tint with purple tinges. The nose is of ripe red and black fruit, laced with floral components. On the palate, the tannin is subtle with well-balanced flavors of fruit." (source google wines)







One of the chefs-de-cuisine, Thomas Colin, so young and so much talent. 













SUMMARY 

I believe this is a relatively new restaurant. It's definitely off to a good start. For people who live close to the 11eme, I would highly recommend you go. The food is definitely above average and the service is beyond reproach. They have excellent wine selections and one of the reasons the maitre'd works there is he wants to continue honing his wine skills.

The one major change that I'd recommend to the restaurant, add a vegetable dish to your main protein courses, or even citrus, especially if the dish is rich to balance out the flavors.

I'm sure the restaurants menu will continue to evolve and I can only seeing it getting better, because they aim to please. Would I go back, absolutely. I want to see how they evolve. 

The prices are very reasonable (25€ for lunch for 3-courses). We ordered a 65€ bottle of wine which skews the average, but please refer to their website for the prix-fixe menu. 



No comments :

Post a Comment