About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Friday, June 10, 2022

TRUFFES FOLIES -- Restaurant Review

 

37 rue Malar 75007 Paris
Website: https://truffesfolies.fr/fr/



Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor

€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)

1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)

         4 - Star.......................€€............................... 2 - Bell


Do you like truffles, then this is the restaurant for you....

I've never been particularly fond of truffles, with the exception of white truffles, and wouldn't you know it, they're pricier than black  truffles. I attribute this slight distaste to when I was younger, I used to be given truffle oil or truffle infused "things" as gifts. And, if anyone's tasted truffle oil, they can be nasty. 

NOTE:  As always, I will only review the dishes that I tasted. 

The interior of the restaurant is quite small. And although they did have an interior able for 5 people, it would've been quite tight, so we opted to eat outside, which was quite pleasant and glad we did. 



Entrée: I had the poached egg served with a creamy egg custard, topped with Perigord truffles which is on the cuff of going out of season. 

I have to say I loved this dish in its simplicity it was delicious. You had a perfectly poached egg embedded in a nice egg/creamy custard topped with perigord truffles that were slightly warmed up. For me this was a hit. Sometimes, the most simple dishes are not only hard to make, but they're the most delicious N'est-ce pas?

What a great start.




Plats:  Bucatini carbonara et Truffes. They didn't have the bucatini but they did have a linguini pasta, which was fine with me.

I actually expected this dish to be very eggy and richly laden with cheese. But the base was delicious, The eggs mostly came from the egg noodles.The bacon bits were nice and salty and it didn't have the same richness as a normal carbonara because it had less oil and a minute or no amount of cheese,. The truffles replaced what would've normally been shaved cheese and replaced with shaved truffle.  And, lucky for me, they were in the last season of perigord truffles. In its simplicity each ingredient spoke out. I loved this dish.



DESSERTS: The two desserts our table ordered were Tiramisu and Creme Brulée. And, what a surprise, they were served with a hint of truffles. I took a bite of both. Both tasted pretty normal and nothing out of the ordinary other than the hint of the truffles for both, but very good. 




Pouilly Fumé to the east of the Loire river, and Sancerre to the west, each region's terroir imparts slightly different characteristics to their respective wines. Mostly unoaked, these wines have amazing structure with perfumey notes of grapefruit and gooseberry with a slight note of honey.

Wines from the Pouilly Fumé tend to be a little more full-bodied than their Sancerre counterparts.

These wines pair amazingly well with nearly all kinds of seafood and salad greens with citrus or vinegar based dressings. The classic pairing of Sancerre with grilled goat cheese is quite possibly the best thing to put in one's mouth.

Somewhat collectable, a good vintage of Upper Noire white can shelve for up to ten years; although, that could be pushing it. It is suggested you drink them in the 4-6 year age range. (Source: vinio)






SUMMARY


Prior to coming to this restaurant my thoughts on truffles were just eh. I could  live with or without them. Probably for all those years of getting truffle oils or bottled truffles which tasted nasty to me. But there's nothing like fresh truffles cooked properly into a dish that brings it to the next level. This restaurant has made me a new believer, especially the perigord truffles which has a nice earthy flavor, but not overpowering flavor which I enjoyed.  

We had some very discerning dinner guests and we all agreed the food was great. With 5-entrées, 5-plats, 2-desserts, 2-bottles of wine and 1 glass of red our bill came to 318.40€ or 63.62€, not bad for this quality of food and service.

Would we go back, ABSOLUTELY.




















No comments :

Post a Comment