About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Sunday, May 8, 2022

AUBERGE BRESSANE -- Restaurant Review

 

16 Avenue de La Motte-Picquet, 75007 Paris, France

Metro: La Tour Maubourg or Ecole Militaire (ligne 8)

Website: https://www.auberge-bressane.com/informations-contact/


Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor

€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)

1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)

4.00 - Stars...................................€€€ ...................................... 3 - Bell


This restaurant was recommended by several friends who live in the neighborhood or who have gone. So, I decided to take JJ there for his birthday lunch. If you're looking for old style, very french classical atmosphere, and classical french dishes with many cooked in the Lyonnaise style, then this is the restaurant for you. 


As you can see from the photo the tables are really tight. In fact, in order for you to be able to sit at the banquet, the server must pull the table out so you can sit squeeze in. So, I recommend go to the restroom first, before seating at the banquet. 

I liked the interior, it has an old world french charm. They do have tables outside, but we opted to sit inside since it was still a bit chilly for us.



AMUSE BOUCHE

Now you can totally skip this. It was a savory toast who some might like. JJ thought it was just OK, but I found it offensive to the palate. It was very dry and and non-descript.

But they'll redeem themselves later.







BREAD/BUTTER

I normally don't write about the bread or butter (
Beurre D’isigny), but I have to say the butter was wonderful. The bread was dense, rustic and heavy. So if you're in Paris buy some of this rich, wonderful butter.  







ENTRÉES


Soufflé au fromage de Comté. (Cheese Soufflé)

The soufflé was beautiful. It really rose to the occasion, literally and figuratively. The top was nice and light and just a hint of the comté cheese. But as you start digging deep into the bowl, the flavor became more pronounced (cheese) and as you got to the bottom there were some nice gooey pieces that made the dish. 

This was a hit for me, I thought it was an excellent dish. 







Saumon Cru façon harengs & pommes tiède (Raw salmon herring style and lukewarm potatoes)

Basically, this was lox served with warm potatoes. The dish was good. For an entrée I thought it was pretty copious. A good hearty dish. 






PLATS


Tête, Langue et Cervelle de Veau en Ravigote (Veal Head, Tongue and Brain in sauce)

JJ ordered this dish. You better be hungry if you order this dish. It is a lot of food. The tongue was so melt in your mouth tender, very good. The "veal head" was in a crust and it was also very melt-in-your mouth tender. The crust was a nice textural addition. This sauce was a light accompaniment. Had it been a creamy heavier sauce it would've been too rich and too much.  Overall it's a very hearty filling dish. In fact, JJ nor I could not make a dent in it, so we brought most of it home.



Pigeonneau à la Périgourdine, pomme paille (Périgourdine squab, straw potatoes)

Before they actually served my squab, they brought it out and showed me the whole bird. But in the bygone days this was common, so that the customers know that what they're getting is the real thing. 

The squab was absolutely delicious. The demi-glace sauce was very, very rich.  Périgourdine (sauce made from madeira and truffle oil), had a lingering mild tangyness of the wine). I could only eat so much and also brought half home. And, who's not a sucker for very crispy fries. They were much thinner than the shoestring potatoes we have in US. I could've eaten the whole thing, which I mostly did, and forgo the meal.  


If I have any complaint about this dish, as in many traditional french dishes, a side of greens or vegetables was lacking.  It would have been nice to have some to balance the richness.


DESSERT


Lately, I've decided I'm going to make sacrifices and eat sugar for my audience. 🤣. JJ and I shared this dessert. This dessert, Paris Brest, is a french classic.  All I have to say about this dessert is OMG. This was absolutely delicious. The little crunchy pastry puff were beautifully made. The pastry creme was flavored with caramel, and the additional caramel sauce and nicely toasted almonds and hazelnuts brought it to another level. If they have an in-house pastry chef, I say to you, Chapeau!


SUMMARY 

If you're looking for a very good meal, in a french old school style of looks and atmosphere, then this is the restaurant for you. It is centrally located in the 7eme. Because it is in the 7eme, I thought for sure there'd be a lot of tourist in the restaurant. A pleasant surprise, it appeared that about half were "regulars" and 90% were french.

Pluses, very traditional french dishes, many with heavy cream or rich wine reduced sauces (Lyonnaise style). Service is outstanding. If I have a minus, they really should add some greens, e.g., haricot vert to balance the rich food. Also, as the restaurant filled, it got a bit noisy. 

NOTE: This is not a restaurant for a romantic meal. You're going for classical french dishes and atmosphere.

We did have wines by the glass, so I didn't review them since they were house wines, but very good. With 2-entrées, 2-plats, 1-dessert, 1-coffee, 1-tea, 3-glasses of wine our bill came to 149€ per couple. 

Would we come back, ABSOLUTELY.







1 comment :

  1. Randy, this is our ultimate favorite restaurant in our neighborhood. This is where we take all out-of-town guests. Their Bresse chicken with yellow wine sauce and morrel mushrooms is outstanding. We also love their écrevisses au gratin. Great food and a great atmosphere. I'm so glad you had a nice lunch there!

    ReplyDelete