About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Thursday, May 12, 2022

CHEZ DELPHINE -- Restaurant Review

 


48 Rue Saint Georges, 75009
Website:  https://www.restaurantchezdelphine.fr/
Metro: Line 12 - Saint George


Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor

€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)

1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)

2.5 - Stars...................................€€ ...................................... 2 - Bell


We were meeting with friends who we haven't seen since lockdown so I decided to explore in the 9eme since we haven't been there in a while.  It's a small restaurant with 3-small tables out front, and two in the back. They expanded it to include tables on the outside. But since it was relatively cool and cars would be driving by, literally, we opted to sit inside.



The interior of the restaurant is sort of nondescript. A typical bistro setting. They had the menu on the board, and interestingly enough they were only serving a "lunch" menu, which was limited (refer to middle section off board). There were no warm entrées, all were cold, including the poached egg. 

NOTE:  I'm only reviewing the dishes I had



POACHED EGG WITH AN PARMESAN  CREAM. 

I have one word to describe this dish in French, "FADE" which means bland. And, being served cold, it's even more bland. Granted the egg was perfectly cooked. But looks can be deceiving.

First of all it was plainly served. There was no hint of parmesan. I had to ask for salt/pepper and although I didn't ask, our wait-person gave me some olive oil. Hmm, wonder if he knows something I don't know.

What this dish lacked: It was served too simply, and lacking in any volume. Needed seasoning badly. Some sprinkling of green garnish would've helped. So not a hit for me.




PORK SAUSAGE WITH MASHED POTATOES. 

At least this dish had some flavor. But what's the most glaring thing missing on this plate? If you say greens, you'd be correct. It didn't even need to be a side of vegetables, but some greenery would've helped improve the visual of this dish. I do have say thought that the sausage was very flavorful, nicely seasoned, and the accompanying demi-glace helped with a little bit of the dryness from the sausages. The mash was mash.  The sausage redeemed the blandness of the poach egg. But the dish itself was nothing out of the ordinary. 



POACHED PEAR WITH HONEY

This was the only dish that was "PRESENTED" with some thought.  Presentation is so key to making food look appetizing, n'est-ce pas? At first glance I thought it was a pork chop. But it was pear poached in wine. The pear was good and the accompanying crumble was good. The honey was not overwhelming. A good solid dish, but nothing out of the ordinary. 









SUMMARY


Maybe I'm jaded. The food is acceptable, none of them tasted bad, even the egg was perfectly cooked, but just so underseasoned. The dishes were just so uninspired and uneventful. 

With 1-bottle of sparkling water, 1-bottle of wine, 1-glass of sancerre, 4-entrées, 4-plats, 2-desserts, and 2-coffees our total for 4-people came to 162€ or 40.5€ per person. 




1 comment :

  1. I am thinking we will skip that Restaurant when we visit Paris!

    ReplyDelete