About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Thursday, August 3, 2023

LE CHANARD -- Restaurant Review

 


For menu, directions and general information:  https://www.facebook.com/lechanard/

Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor 

€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)

1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)

3.25 - Star........................................€€€................................... 2.5 - Bell



This is a small restaurant in the heart of "le Marais" in the St.Paul village. When I say small, it only sits about 16-people, but could accommodate maybe 4 people at the bar and 2 others at a bar table as you enter.  The restaurant was created in 2015 by partners Vincent , Lisa (chef) and Antoine. 



Although it is small, it's actually quote cozy and quaint with the exposed stone walls surprisingly giving it some warmth.




It appears the menu changes intermittently since it is on a chalkboard. Although a small menu, which many of you know I prefer, there was a nice variety. 












NOTE: I will be listing the dishes in English below


ENTREES


HADDOCK WRAPPED IN FILO DOUGH SERVED WITH SALAD. The haddock looked exactly like fried "spring rolls".  There were 2-nice generous pieces. I am guessing the haddock was re-hydrated because it had a very smoky and very salty and intense fish flavor. I have a high tolerance for salt, but if it wasn't for the sweet accompanying dressed vegetables, I don't honestly think I could eat it on its own. Together it was a good dish, one balancing the other. 





OCTOPUS SALAD. 

JJ had this.  He is quite fond of marinated (vinegary) veggies which this had in spades.  The octopus was fine, probably frozen and then properly reconstituted.  A good dish.









PLATS


WHITE LOBSTER TAIL. This was a very simple dish. I love lobster, but unfortunately, although it tasted good, it was overcooked and quite rubbery. Even more surprisingly the zucchini slices had some very hot spicy espelette on them. Fortunately, I like spicy, but I can't imagine a french person eating the zucchini and and not feel the burn. 






PORK CHOP WITH ROASTED POTATOES. A friend had this dish and I tasted it. This was actually my favorite dish. In its simplicity the flavors shined. The pork was moist and spiced perfectly. A hit for me, in fact, if they have this on the menu next time, I'll definitely order it.









RABBIT.  JJ also ordered the rabbit as a main, but I forgot to take a photo.  Again, there were lots of veggies which made him happy, and the rabbit was nicely prepared (tasted like chicken!)



WINES

1. We had 1-bottle of red wine from Saint Emilion. It was a good basic red wine. Nothing out of the ordinary.

2. I had 2-glasses of white Sancerre, my favorite wine region. It's a sharp, dry and crisp wine.


DESSERTS


1.  CREME CHOCOLAT. This was my favorite of the 3-desserts. It was basically a dark chocolate mousse served with nuts. Not too sweet, but the chocolate flavor were nice and strong.

2.  RASPBERRY TART. For people who like tart, you'll love this. The raspberries were very fresh, but tart. The creme anglais helped balance the strong tart flavor. It was however like any tart you can get at a bakery; I doubt it was made in-house.

3.  STRAWBERRY WITH CREAM. You can't get any more simple than this. Whipped or Chantilly as it's called in french, is much richer than American whipped creams. So that alone made it delicious. It is a very simple and basic dessert, but good.

The desserts were nothing out of the ordinary, but they were simple and good.


SUMMARY 

If I'm being honest, the "Le Marais" area of Paris has never been my go to place for a culinary experience. It's a place I go to meet friends for drinks or have a simple meal of pasta and/or pizza after "apèros."

This was a good hearty restaurant. There were some hits and there were some misses. There is only 1 server, but surprisingly he seemed to be have everything under control. The only long span was between our main plat and dessert. 

Now onto the food, the dishes I ordered were good, but the misses were offset by the pluses. For example, the salty haddock was offset by the sweet vegetables. Although the lobster was tasty if was way overcooked. Probably left it under the warming lights too long. But JJ says whoever is their produce supplier gave them very fresh, tasty vegetables and fruit.

For 4-entrées, 4-plats, 3-desserts, 1-bottle of wine, 2-glasses of wine our bill came to €235.60 €58.90 per person. 


The accompanying vegetable dishes were good, the others loved their dishes, the restaurant is definitely above average and we will go back, if in the neighborhood.





No comments :

Post a Comment