About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Thursday, September 5, 2024

Les Fines Lames -- Restaurant Review

35 Rue Lepic, 75018 Paris
For info, making reservations, directions and checking out menu, they do not have a website, but all that information can be found at: https://www.thefork.fr/restaurant/les-fines-lames-r395069#booking=
 

For information, reservation and location: https://www.mokoloco.fr/

Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor € = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)

1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)


3 - Star........................................€€..................................... 4 if seated outside



I'm back in town (La Rentrée) from our August break and have begun reviewing restaurants again. Met some friends visiting Paris for the Paralympics. We opted for lunch in Montmartre since that's where our friends were staying. It's the first neighborhood we lived in when we moved to Paris in 2008, so the arrondissement has a lot of sentimental meaning for us. We avoided Place de Tertre, for the obvious reason that it's very, very touristy. But I chose a restaurant on Rue Lepic, a main street going up to the heart of Montmartre.  It was a beautiful day so we sat outside. Lovely, but noisy. The traffic, including buses drove by us and not only could we hear them, but felt the rumbling of the streets, oh well.

The restaurant is basically a steak restaurant. I'm just going to review what I had, because basically we all had different variations of steak.


ENTRÉE

A nice fresh tomato and lettuce salad with a very creamy burrata cheese and a toast of pesto. Nothing out of the ordinary, just a good, average first starter. 




Entrecôte Angus Avec accompagnement et 1 sauce au choix

Ribeye steak with several different accompaniments like salad, fries or vegetables. I have to say the steak was cook to my liking, I ordered à point (medium rare) and that's how it came out. I also ordered a blue cheese sauce which is not common in Paris. It was a lot lighter in flavor than you would get in US, but good none-the-less.

Overall, a very good steak. 



We ordered a Domaine Auchere Sancerre. This wine was excellent. In fact, I'm a bit biased, I love sancerres. I've never had a bad sancerre. And, it was perfect for the warm weather. 

NOTES:

Domaine Auchere Sancerre is a renowned wine from the Sancerre region in the Loire Valley, France, made from 100% Sauvignon Blanc grapes. Below are the typical tasting notes for this wine:

Color: Pale straw yellow with hints of green, reflecting its youth and freshness.

Clarity: Brilliant and clear, often with a slight shimmer.

Nose (Aroma):

Primary Aromas: The bouquet is expressive, with pronounced citrus notes such as lemon and grapefruit.

Palate:

Acidity: The wine is crisp and refreshing, with vibrant acidity that balances the fruitiness.

Flavor Profile: On the palate, it is typically dry, with flavors echoing the citrus and green apple from the nose. There's also a noticeable minerality that gives the wine a clean, precise finish.

Body: Light to medium-bodied, with a smooth, elegant texture.

Finish: The finish is long and zesty, often with a lingering note of citrus and a touch of salinity.

Connoisseurs Impression:

Domaine Auchere Sancerre is a quintessential expression of Sauvignon Blanc from Sancerre. It's known for its precision, freshness, and the balance between fruit and minerality, making it a go-to wine for lovers of crisp, aromatic whites.


The others shared dessert, which I did not have. Steak is very filling for me.


SUMMARY 

This was basically a steakhouse, albeit the steaks are sourced, grass fed and are not laden with hormones etc. With that said I would suggest you order your steaks medium rare "à point". Otherwise it will be tough. You have your basic accompaniments of fries, salads, and even different sauces. 

This is not a WOW me kind of restaurant, but an honest steakhouse that won't break the bank. And, service was great. 

One complaint I have about the restaurant, the outdoor sitting is right next to "Rue Lepic", which is a main thoroughfare to Sacre Cœur and Place de Tertre. So when cars and buses go up the street, it will be loud and you will feel the motion, not to mention smelling the exhaust, so this can be a turn-off for some. 

I'd like to break out the prices, but our friends secretly paid for our meal. But it is affordable. Please check their menu for prices. 

Would we go back, yes, especially if I'm in the neighborhood and craving meat and potatoes. 

Here's a guide to ordering steaks in France.





No comments :

Post a Comment