About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

LES PÈRES SIFFLEURS -- Restaurant Review

 


15 rue Gerbert - 75015 Paris
Website: https://lesperessiffleurs.com/

Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor

€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)

1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)

1 - Stars...................................€€...................................... 1- Bell (sat on terrace)


I wasn't going to write this review, I figured, why waste my time. But then I felt it was my obligation to let others know.

For me the dining experience is about the WHOLE experience. From the time you make the reservation to the time you leave the restaurant.

To date this has got to be one of my top 5-worst eating experiences I have ever experienced ANYWHERE in the world, and we're well traveled.

Our friend just arrived from Australia, so last minute I said let's go for a drink and meal and catch up. I also invited another friend. JJ said there was a restaurant around the corner and had read it had really good reviews. We had no reservations anywhere, and I thought our default could be several cafes close to our place, which are never full but they accept walk in business. By the way, this is all happening in our neighborhood of the 15eme. So most of the restaurants in the 15eme cater to locals, which can be good and bad.




Our saving "grace" was in front of us was a nice view of a church, Paroisse Saints Lambert de Vaugirard. It's a pretty location and as mentioned it's a restaurant that caters to the locals, since this is off the beaten path for most foreigners. I fact, we were the only foreigners there. 


CHRONOLOGICAL TIME SCHEDULE starting at 7:25 pm

7:25 --  JJ asked the Maitre'd if they had a table outside for 4, the maitre'd hesitated, that should've our cue to leave. Despite the negotiating, he gave us a lovely table outside. We sat and got menus, that was it, no water no asking if we wanted apertiffs? NOTHING.

7:35 -- our other friend arrived. I asked the wait-assistant for some water, she responded quickly, while she was at our table I asked about a particular bottle of wine that we wanted to order, she said she couldn't help because she doesn't know, but her colleague, the Maitre'd would have to help.

7:50 -- I made eye contact with our maitre'd, with his eyes and hand-gesture he said, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll be there. In the meantime a couple just arrived and took to the table next to us on our left side.

8:00 -- Maitre'd took the new people's wine order and much to my delight he took our wine and drink orders as well, and we figured we'd better order our food, cause God knows if he'll be back. He was pleasant enough, but so inept.

So, we gave him our order. I'm thinking maybe the bad service was he perceived us not being from the neighborhood and we were lost tourist. But we spoke to him in French, and I specially told him we live down the street, but actually we live about a 15-minute walk away, what's a few blocks, regardless.

8:10 -- our neighbor got their wine, we got NOTHING.



8: 30 -- We and our table neighbors got our first course, 3 of us had Burrata and 1 the ceviche, but still no wine. I do have say that the burrata with red and purple tomatoes was good, a tad under seasoned, but we already had salt and pepper on the table which is unusual, cause you normally have to ask for it. 




8:45 -- I got the helpers attention and asked "where's our drinks?" She was sweet, my guess is she was a high school student, and very green.

9:00 -- Maitre'd came by apologized, opened up the one bottle of wine we ordered, but did not bring JJ's red wine nor our friend's bottled water. So, we mentioned it. 



9:30
  -- Our table was cleared, and then we got our main. I got the entrecote (steak) I asked for it medium rare, in french "a point". Well let's just say it came out well done and drier than aged salami. 

NOTE: Jack still did not get his red wine, nor did a friend get her sparkling water. After reminding our maitre'd he finally, went out of his way (it's your job man) to get what he forgot.

I remember somewhere in the back of mind, that you have your wine with the meals, unless you're having apertiff's. Apparently, this restaurant is a rebel or just BAD service. (being sarcastic)

NOTE: The first batch of bread we got was bordering on stale. They must've ordered it that morning and let it sit out, or figured we were not french and they figured we wouldn't mind being served stale bread, which has happened before. However, the 2nd batch was much better. 



10:00 -- At the rate we were going I hesitated getting any cheese or dessert. Regardless 3 of us gave ordered dessert to the maitre'd. He and one of the chef's immediately took a cigarette break in in front of the church across the street while we waited a half an hour.

Finally the dessert came. It was supposed to be a Rhubarb cheesecake. It was the MOST DISGUSTING dessert I have ever tasted in my entire life.  Let me describe the ways:

Where's the cheese? The filling was so laden with gelatin, cutting into it was like cutting soft rubber. Now onto the flavors, what flavor, there was none. Is white rubber a flavor? There may have been 2-3 drops of rhubarb. In fairness the only thing that tasted good on this dish was the strawberries and the little pavlova cookies.  But what kinda effort takes to make that. 

10:45 -- We could not get the maitre'd's attention to get our bill, so on my way to the restroom, I reminded him. After I returned to the table I asked JJ if he received and paid the bill? he said no. He finally went to the bar and paid him.

11:00 we have had enough, if it wasn't for the company our conversation and laughter it could've been worse, if that's even possible.

I was very tempted to tell the maitre'd off and make some sarcastic remarks, but our friends advised me not to. 


SUMMARY 

So, with 3-entrees, 1-bottle of water, 3-plats, 3-desserts, 1 glass of ice cold red, and a bottle of Vouvray (our saving grace), came to 204€. No we were not discounted anything for the horrible experience. 

Some of you are probably wondering why we just didn't get up and leave, in hindsight we should've. But we were having such a good time catching up with friends and we were not in a rush and it was a gorgeous warm night.

Our first cue it wasn't going to be a good dinner experience, should've been when he was hesitate to sit us, maybe thinking we couldn't be served properly, which I doubt. I've been to many restaurants were there was one server for a whole restaurant and did absolutely fine. Because we were foreigners, they probably figured, they'd never see us again, so why bother!?!? which happens at tourist restaurants. 


I'll make this short and sweet 'DON'T GO' avoid it like the plague.






1 comment :