About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Saturday, March 23, 2024

PARIS -- HOW TO BLEND IN

 



INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW, WHAT SHOULD I BRING TO PARIS. THE DO'S AND DON'TS OF HOW TO BLEND IN. 

I spent today starting to pack for our return to Paris in April. Although I also have a wardrobe there, I do bring back a few things to add to my wardrobe.  Then I thought, maybe I should share some ideas for my readers on what to bring to Paris, so they can blend in and not look like a stereotypical tourist, which makes you a target for so many things. 

- Go with 3-basic colors: Black, Gray, Navy blue, Brown, Beige or white as your base color

- Accessories with colors, such as scarf, belt or bag (murse)

- Don’t wear loud, bright and/or overly printed shirts that screams “tourist” or Aloha! You’ll be marked as a tourist and easily become a pickpocket target or be upsold at e.g., a Café

- In recent years, shorts have become very acceptable day-to-day wear.

- Don’t wear bling-bling clothes (e.g., sequins) unless you plan on going to the Opera or Ballet. And, NEVER wear them in the day time.

- Loafers are always a good bet, you can dress them up or down and are comfortable to wear. Note: sneakers are now acceptable to wear.

- Jeans worn with a nice simple print or plain color shirt, with a nice belt goes a long way. 

- Bring a light jacket and/or sweater like a cardigan that can go with any outfit for those cool Spring and Autumn days/nights. Always a good idea to have a light stylish blazer.

- Accessorizing with jewelry is always a good idea, but nothing flashy/expensive or you will be a pickpocket target. 

- A bag to carry all your accessories is always a good idea. But I recommend one with a zipper to prevent being pick-pocketed

- In Paris, when going out to a nice dinner, it’s customary to dress to show respect to the Chef and the other patrons

- Do not wear gym clothes, sweats or leggings

- Don’t be a walking billboard of designer names (e.g. head to toe with gucci, hoochi and poochi), it’s considered “trashy”. Maybe one simple designer accessory, eg a Louis tuition sling bag

- And, light on the make-up boys and girls. You don’t wanna look like an overdone drag queen. In other words,  go light on the makeup. A more natural look is the style in Paris 

- Ultra small portable umbrella, yes it does rain a lot in Paris. Paris gets more rainfall than London

Most important, enjoy.



No comments :

Post a Comment