About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Sunday, July 3, 2022

LE BAYADÈRE -- Restaurant Review

 

Check website for reservation, operating hours and directions
https://www.restaurantlebayadere.com/en/


Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor

€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)

1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)

4.5 - Stars...................................€€€€...................................... 1 - Bell




Again, one of my favorite places "the Champs Elysees," NOT.  This is the 2nd night in a week I'm in the area that I don't like, but like I said there are a lot of great restaurants along the side-streets.

Le Bayadère is located inside the Hôtel Elysia. As you enter it feels like an elegant dining room of a hotel. A bit sterile as they sometimes appear, but elegant nonetheless.



Although there were no views to speak of, we sat at the best table in the house, front and center.



Since it is a hotel and they have a cocktail bar, I figured they'd have my new favorite summer cocktail called, "St. Germain Spritz", similar to an aperol spritz, but made with elderberry liquor. It's not as sweet nor as bitter as aperol spritz. My new favorite summer drink.











AMUSE BOUCHE. 

We had a little sweet potato cooked with the skin on. We were told that the dollop was burrata, but it tasted like creme fraiche more than anything else. Regardless it was a good dish but rather bland.








NOTE: I will only be reviewing dishes I actually tasted.



ENTRÉE


Carpaccio de coquilles Saint-Jacques Assaisonné de piment, zestes d’agrumes et huile de persil toastée. (Sea scallops carpaccio, spice, citrus zest, parsley oil)

JJ ordered this dish, normally I don't like scallops, but to be fair, I've always never had them raw. I'm now a new believer. This was excellent. The scallops were tender and not rubbery, as I thought they might be. The different citrus was not overwhelming. Overall an excellent dish. 








Asperges de printemps, œuf osmosé, émulsion de morilles (Spring asparagus, osmosed egg, morel emulsion)

This was another great entree. Here's a little trivia you may not know, did you know white asparagus does not make your urine smell? 

I know TMI, but this dish was delicious. At first I thought there were peanuts in the sauce. I asked the waiter he said there was pistachio emulsified with the morel mushrooms. Also at first I thought that the egg yolk may have been poached, it was actually raw. The combinations of the flavors were bold to compliment what's typically bland white asparagus, so a very nice composed appetizer. 




PLATS



Cannellonis farcis aux petits légumes de saison, sauce pesto, olives noires. (Stuffed pasta with seasonal vegetables, pesto and black olive sauce)

JJ ordered this dish and I have to say this was absolutely delicious. You could tell the pasta was home made. The pesto and black olive sauce provided the salt. Although I do like protein with my meals, this was very satisfying, Good dish. 








Lotte rôtie, cannelloni farci (Roasted monkfish, cannelloni pasta stuffed)

Monkfish, otherwise known as poor man's lobster, is probably one of my favorite fishes because it's meaty. The monkfish was extremely moist. It doesn't look like a large piece, but it is. I actually couldn't finish it. The cannelloni was similar to what JJ ordered, in fact I think it was the same, so it was delicious. This was a perfect balanced meal for me, some starch, vegetables and protein. 

It was a hit.






DESSERTS



Pavlova aux fruits rouges et noirs (Red and black berries Pavlova). To be honest, I'm not a big fan of pavlovas. To me they're just like a meringue puff with lots of fruit on it. Others liked it, but I thought it was too sweet.


Tarte chocolat grand cru Valrhona en mousse légère, crème glacée a la vanille, (Valrhona chocolate tart, vanilla ice cream).  Interestingly, I liked this dessert. It was served warm, almost like a pudding. What I liked the best was it was dark chocolate with some bitterness. Although sweet, the bitterness cut some of that sweetness and the ice cream was a great accompaniment and balance.


Mignardises  -- They were nothing special, although sweet, they brought them out with our coffee. One of the treats tasted like a breakfast muffin you get packaged at a supermarket. Not my favorite. But I usually don't count these in the reviews since they're a nicety, but don't make or break a meal. Besides they're rarely eaten, cause at this point we're full.






SUMMARY

Although quite elegant, maybe a bit sterile. I don't usually go to hotel restaurants in favor of more neighborhood type restaurants with character, for the atmosphere and the authenticity of the country I'm visiting. Granted I've found hidden treasures in some hotels and I do like to go to Michelin starred restos that are oftentimes located inside hotels.  Net-net, I'd come back to this restaurant in a heartbeat. The food was EXCELLENT and the service beyond reproach.

With 3-apertifs, 2-oranginas, 3-entrees, 4-plats, 2-desserts, 3-glasses of wine, 2-coffees, 1-tea, 1-digestif (NOTE: We were charged in error 1 too many entrees), so I've reflected what the bill should've been, a difference of €32.  Total came to €339 or €84.75 per person. 



1 comment :