About

"The evolving Francophile..."

My husband Jack has always wanted to live in Paris and learn French. I thought it would be good for him to achieve his life time dream. Hence, we moved to Paris in 2008. My first year was difficult. I started "missives" to relieve some stress and chronicle my life so friends back in the US could read what I am experiencing. I currently write about my food in Paris, which is my passion., travel experiences, and "experiences living in Paris."

It is definitely a challenge to live here, but each year it gets easier, and quite enjoyable, in large part because I value friendships over locale. I have a love/hate relationship with Paris as do most Parisians, mais La vie est belle (but life is good)!

Saturday, May 25, 2024

L'Oyat -- Restaurant Review


Check their information on the Michellin guide at https://guide.michelin.com/fr/fr/ile-de-france/paris/restaurant/l%E2%80%99oyat
 

Rating Standards: 5-Stars = Extraordinary; 4-Stars = Excellent; 3-Stars = Average; 2-Stars = Fair; 1-Star = Poor 

€ = Inexpensive: 30€ and under; €€ = Moderate: 31€-49€; €€€ = Expensive: €50 -75; €€€€ = Very Expensive: more than €76 (prices based on minimum 2-courses)

1-Bell = Pleasantly quiet (less than 65 decibels); 2-Bells = Can talk easily (65-70); 3-Bells = Talking normally gets difficult (70-80); 4-Bells = Can talk only in raised voices (75-90); BOMB = Too noisy for normal conversation (90+)


4.00 - Star........................................€€€€..................................... 1 - Bells


Talk about another find. A restaurant hidden from the public view and path in the 3eme, but closer to "Republique."  I saw this restaurant on the Michelin guide of recommended restaurants and thought we have friends staying close by, why don't we make it convenient for all of us and go to this restaurant. The interior was cute and warm, the waiter was friendly and had the nicest smile. Not surprisingly, this was not a touristy restaurant, it caters more to local people, because you know where it is, you're not just going to run into it. 



NOTE: I will only review the dishes that I had.


ENTRÉE

SERIOLE: Hamachi au kalamansi et ses pickles -- JJ and I shared this dish. This was a like a ceviche of raw yellowtail. Surprisingly to me, it was marinated in "calamansi" a small citrus that looks like a keylime, but a tad sweeter native to southeast asia and in particular the Philippines. So, technically the fish was chemically cooked and not raw. I liked the freshness of the fish, but it was a tad bit sour for my taste. On the other hand Jack loved it. But he's the type that likes to eat lemons raw. Overall, it was a beautifully composed dish and for those who like strong citrus flavor, then this will be a hit for you. 






Pigeon, Rôti sur le coffre, crûsse confite, crosnes et jus de pigeon. This was the roasted pigeon. I absolutely adored this dish. The pigeon was was cooked "a point" medium rare. It was succulent, juicy and filled with lots of flavor. The accompanying potatoes and asparagus was a great combination. I would order this again in a nano-second. 



Assiette de Fromage. 3-varietal cheeses. For dessert I ordered my normal cheese platter. As I always say, you can never go wrong with cheese in France. One was an aged mimolette, then a sheep cheese and a brie. All delicious, 







Les gravineres Domaine Jourdan Cravant les Coteau

This is a Cabernet Franc grape variety, grown on sand and gravel terroirs in the plains, produces light and fruity red wines. On more clayey, gravelly soils, the wine is richer and more concentrated.

As for the tasting notes:

*Eye: Deep ruby color, garnet reflections.

*Nose: Fruity, subtle aromas of Morello cherry, generous aromas of red fruits.

*Mouth: Soft and silky tannins.

*Food & wine pairings: grilled fish, grilled red meats, roast chicken

Note: Info from DiVin.


SUMMARY 

How lucky am I. This the the 3rd neighborhood "hole-in-the-wall" restaurant I found totally by accident. Because it is on a side street, unless you're in the know, you won't easily find this restaurant. They have a small menu, but a nice mix of seafood, meats and fowl. My guess is that the patrons are from the neighborhood, other than ourselves, there were no foreigners. It's not exactly in the heart of "le Marais", but is close to the "Republique". 

The menu was uncomplicated, food was delicious and the service excellent. Please note though, they do not have an English menu, so bring your smartphone to translate. Only tad complaint I had was that the Hamachi was a tad too sour for my taste, but again, I don't like strong sour flavors.

Would we go back, ABSOLUTELY.

For 2-entrées, 4-plats, 3-sweet desserts and 1 cheese plate, a St. Germain Spritz, a pastis, 2-glasses of Chardonnay and bottle of Chinon Domain Chardon and 1-additional glass of Pinot noir, our total bill came to €339,50 or €85 rounded up per person. 

Note: Their wine list was a bit pricey

No comments :

Post a Comment